Monday, December 20, 2010

Bike Ride

This is my very first blog so please bare with me (even though I am sure I am the only one who will actually ever see this).

This past Saturday night I drove through an agonizing amount of traffic from Fort Worth to Plano to see two of my best friends.  I haven't spent any real time with them in months and driving all the way to Plano (I absolutely hate driving) was the only way and time I was going to be able to see them this winter break.  I got there at about 7:30 pm (I left a little before 6) and was immediately embraced by my friend Nenna (my nickname for her) and then with her help I carried my things into a house that had 7 girls hiding, waiting for the right time to jump out and scream -trying to scare me.  Appeasing them I screamed, more in delight than in fear, and embraced all of them.  Not only was this the only time I was going to be able to spend with my friends but a part of the deal was that I had to help babysit 6 little girls all younger than 8.  Saturday night was short and sweet; we spent the time watching movies, playing and letting the little girls brush our hair.  Finally, just before ten we cleaned up and helped them get ready for bed.  Once everyone was settled down my friends and I enjoyed a bowl of ice cream and caught up. 
        The next morning was semi-hectic (it always is when there are four hyper active little girls running round) but it was enjoyble as we lounged around their house until about 11 when I was talking to Mrs. Sweat and told her how much I love bike riding even though I hardly do it and would love to do it more.  To my surprise she asked me if I really wanted to go bike riding and within a half hour we were outside preparing the bikes for our ride.  Me, Nenna, Jessica, Mrs. Sweat, Sydney and Jamie (the last two her daughters: Sidney 4 Jamie 6) headed out. Ten minutes into our ride we had to turn back because Jamie was being difficult but besides the delay we were on our way again.  After about a forty five minute ride we returned to the house, this time picking up the oldest daughter named Jordan and dropping off Sidney.  We then decided to ride over to the McDonalds to get drinks.  For the first 15 minutes we rode on safe bike path until we reach a semi large intersection where we had to cross six lanes of traffic that were going opposite ways.  Mrs. sweat rode over first all the way to the other side while the rest of us stopped in the middle waiting for cars to pass.  Instead of the cars continuing they stopped, waiting for us to cross.  Confused (probably because of the nervousness of crossing such a busy rode) we sat still on our bikes completely dumb founded thinking: why are the cars stopping? That's weird....  Mrs. Sweat's hollar from the other side aroused us -especially me, because I stupidly decided to race across the road without looking.  Right as I was about to pass the third lane a car came racing towards me and if it wasn't for Mrs. Sweat's screaming at the person in the car I probably would have been hit.  The car slammed on it's breaks -stopping about only fifteen feet from me.  Once Mrs. Sweat's heart beat had slowed and I had forgiven myself for being so stupid we continued, crossing another intersection again but this time, thankfully, it was uneventful.  Once we were at the McDonalds we decided go through the Drive-thru  since we had no place to put our bikes.  But to no avail they would not serve us so we just decided to bring our bikes inside the McDonalds.  Once we had got our orders we all sat down and talked.  It was so nice to sit there for a good half hour and just talk.  I knew that Mrs. Sweat had travelled so I asked about where she had been -and to my surprise and pleasure I found out that she and her husband (he wasn't at the time) took six months and travelled around the world.  I then, in return told her about how I wished so badly to go travelling this summer and that I had already applied to go on a dig in Israel.  I was finally able to openly share my hopes and desires with someone who understood me; for years all I have wanted to do was travel -and travel the way I wanted to. 
         After a very uneventful (to my relief) ride home we had to part ways.  It was great seeing and spending time with my friends and also with the Sweats who encouraged my desire to travel...overall it was an excellent weekend.

1 comment:

  1. "even though I am sure I am the only one who will actually ever see this". You would be so wrong. Love you, Juju.

    ReplyDelete